Prompt 3: Glenn Gould – The Goldberg Variations

When comparing the two versions of The Goldberg Variations from 1955 and 1981, something that stood out to me was the difference in emotional playing. In the 1955 recording, it the playing seems almost ‘mechanical’. Everything is perfectly precise, and it doesn’t seem like much liberty is taken in the performance. The 1981 version, on the other hand feels a lot more emotional to me. The first section is long and drawn out, taking more than a minute longer to finish than the older recording. In the next section, the later recording feels much heavier and more aggressive, especially in the bassline. It has a sort of percussive sound to it. When listening to the same section in the earlier recording, it is much faster and has a very driving feeling. its like watching an elephant race in the 1981 recording, and an elegant horse race in the 1955 version. In terms of texture, there is a major difference between the two versions. The 1955 recording sounds to me like one single instrument covering all the different parts, but the 1981 recording sounds more like multiple instruments. The right hand acts as the violins and in a typical baroque group, while the left acts as the upright bass. In the 1955 version, I don’t feel the separation as much and it sounds more like just one performer. Overall, I enjoy the 1981 version more than the 1955 version, mostly based on the large expressive difference between the two.